What is Sleep Apnea? Sleep Apnea is a condition that affects the way you breathe when you’re sleeping. People with untreated sleep Apnea stop breathing repeatedly during their sleep. These breathing pauses typically last 10 to 20 seconds and can occur up to hundreds of times a night.
Sleep Apnea will cause you to spend more time in light sleep and less time in the deep, restorative sleep you need to be energetic, mentally sharp, and productive the next day. This chronic sleep deprivation results in daytime sleepiness, slow reflexes, poor concentration, and an increased risk of accidents.
Typical treatment for Sleep Apnea is the use of a CPAP machine. This machine works by forcing oxygen down the airway while the person is sleeping. This treatment is believed to be successful but possesses its share of inconvenience to the user.
An alternative to a (Continuous Positive Airway Pressure) CPAP machine which is becoming a popular remedy for sleep apnea is the use of a dental appliances. The office of J.C. Duncan DDS, FAGD provides MAD’s ( Manibular Advancement Device) for the treatment of Sleep Apnea. These devices have been proven to be very successful in the treatment for this condition.
Advantages of Oral Appliance Therapy (MAD)
- Oral appliances are comfortable and easy to wear. Most people find that it only takes a couple of weeks to become acclimated to wearing the appliance.
- Oral appliances are small and convenient making them easy to carry when traveling.
- Treatment with oral appliances is reversible and non-invasive
How Oral Appliances Work
- Repositioning the lower jaw, tongue, soft palate and uvula
- Stabilizing the lower jaw and tongue
- Increasing the muscle tone of the tongue
If you are looking to treat your Sleep Apnea or a way to stop snoring, contact the office of J.C. Duncan, DDS FAGD.
103 Commerce Center Drive Suite 101*
Huntersville, NC 28078*